I love subscribing to the Ensign magazine. There's always something each month that helps me in some way. In this month's issue there is a great article by President Thomas S. Monson called "Canaries with Gray on Their Wings." One of the things he says in it has really stuck with me, and it's the quote that I'm focusing on this month:
"To live greatly, we must develop the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility."
What a poignant, inspirational message. I have seen so many great examples in my life of people who practice this. One of my brothers, Ryan, is a missionary right now in the Denver, Colorado South mission. He teaches people constantly about the blessings that can come into their lives as they listen to and obey what the Lord has to tell them. Often, people choose not to follow what you teach them and it breaks your heart: you know how much joy they would find if only they would test what you're testifying of. It can be a tiring work, and some days you feel like you can't give any more, yet his letters are full of love and enthusiasm for the people he meets and the work he's doing. He preaches the gospel cheerfully and with courage because of his love for the Lord and his testimony of the restored gospel.
(Elder Johnson on the left.)
I am so blessed. I fear that too often I don't recognize all of the wonderful things that I've been given but instead wish for the things I think I'm lacking. A group of missionaries I taught once told me that when we look for the blessings we want, we won't find them; we need to learn to see what God has given us. As President Monson said, to live greatly we need to have courage and cheerfulness during times of trial, sorrow and heartache, and we need to recognize the Lord's hand in our lives and practice the virtue of humility when we succeed. Ultimately, I think that to live greatly is to strive to be an example of Christ by emulating Him in the times that it seems most difficult to do.
2 comments:
I just laughed out loud that you had to clarify which of the elders was your brother...as if he didn't look EXACTLY like you.
I also loved that article. I love listening to then as I get ready for work.
i loved reading your thoughts on this. good good reminder for me right now!
Post a Comment