10.11.2010

it's breast cancer awareness month

The summer after my sophomore year of college, I had to go to a doctor for some tests. Part of these tests included a breast exam, something I'd never before experienced. My doctor found a lump in my left breast. I had to go in for a biopsy. I was 20. My then-boyfriend came to Ohio to visit me during this same week. I remember sitting at our kitchen table eating breakfast with my family. Someone mentioned how I was awaiting test results. My boyfriend had no idea. I brushed it off and said, "I'm sure it's nothing." Luckily, I was right. My doctor did, however, encourage me to perform a self breast exam each month. I've done it. I'd encourage everyone to do the same, even if you're young like me.

I know some truly exceptional women who are breast cancer survivors. One of those incredible women is Laurie McGuire. She was like my second mom while I grew up with this little terror of a best friend (bestie pictured below in gold):


The McGuires: Jim, Brooke, Laurie
The Johnsons: Keith, Amanda, Carlyn
[Senior Prom 2004]

(I was really just kidding, Brooke-E. You're the greatest.)

Mrs. McGuire is now cancer free and doing great. I couldn't be happier. Thank you, Mrs. McGuire, for being such an inspiration of optimism and faith during your time of trial. I don't think I've ever seen you without that beautiful smile on your face. Love you!

4 comments:

Rachel Ricchio said...

omg you look like a greek goddess!!! omg!! i love it!!

Karin said...

I totally forgot about that friend! By the way...you do look so beautiful in that pic! I didn't even recognize you...you're SO tan!
I wish I could've known you in High School. And I don't say that just because it would've been so darn fun to make fun of you in your marching band hat :)

lisa said...

uh.man.da. You have a blog. You have awesome stories. You have a new blog stalker. Yeah!

Grandma Shauna said...

Did you know that my mom is a breast cancer survivor. She was a bit younger than I am now when she was diagnosed.