Phone conversation with my mom, Carlyn, last night:
C: I've been thinking about Joyce. I want you take her dinner.
A: I've tried. She won't let me.
C: I don't care. Make her some soup and take it over tomorrow.
After I barged into Joyce and Owen's house tonight, I was able to sit down and talk with them for a little bit. Joyce is my great-great aunt. She, in one word, is lovely. She is my grandma Gloria's aunt. Gloria is my dad's mom. My dad's parents died when I was three, but I have a number of memories of them.
Conversation with Joyce as soon as I walked in and sat down:
J: Look at how beautiful you are!
A: Hi, Joyce!
L: I mean it. Isn't she just something to look at, Owen?
O: Yes, she is.
A: No, no, but thank you.
J: No really, how'd you get a face like that?
A: [I'm extremely embarrassed.] Oh, Joyce.
J: I wish Gloria could see you.
A: Me too.
J: Really. If only she could see you. She'd be so proud.
After I said goodbye, I got in my car, drove down the mountain, and thought about a lot of things. I thought of how much goodness that woman has in her. I thought of how much I'd love to talk to Gloria and Aaron and have them get to know me, to tell them what I've been doing and what I want to do. I thought of how, 20 years later, my dad still gets teared up when he talks about them. How my uncle Stuart's laugh is what I imagine Aaron's to be like. How much I loved hearing people tell me all weekend, "You have Gloria's eyes." How I hope to carry their name well. How fun it will be to be with them again some day.
What a blessing to know that families can be forever.
![]() |
| Grandma Gloria, Ryan and me taking a little train ride. |

1 comment:
Amanda,
I wanted you to know that your Dad is the one that sounds like your Grandpa Aaron when he laughs. I have noticed that often.
Also, they would both be so proud of you and I'm sure they know exactly what you've been up to.
Post a Comment