7.11.2010

tender mercies

You know it's not been the best day when you start crying while you're grocery shopping. Thank you, Yesterday. I'd had a bit of a rough day, even though nothing that bad had happened. It was more a cumulation of a few different things that all occurred on the same day.

Fast forward 60 minutes later of what was the tipping point to me at Smith's. As I was reaching for a gallon of skim milk and listening to what my Mom had to say to me on the phone, the tears started coming and I couldn't help it. I've never cried in a grocery store before... it added a new level of embarrassment I wasn't too comfortable with. It's not that my mom said anything wrong, it's that she was saying the right things- the things I needed to hear. Moms are like that. At least mine is.

Fast forward 5 minutes later to me at the checkout stand. Very pregnant mother trying to hold her screaming, inconsolable toddler. She looked at me with one of those "I wish I were you right now" looks. I gave her the same look.

Fast forward 10 minutes later to me in my apartment. This time I let the tears flow freely. Nothing's embarrassing when you're alone... the alone part is comfortable. I started talking out loud to my Heavenly Father. I do that a lot more now than I ever used to. I told Him why I was having a bad day and why I didn't think it I deserved it.

Fast forward 2 minutes later to me sitting on my bed. Tears dried up. Now feeling ashamed for what I had been thinking, feeling and saying. I talked out loud again, this time saying how grateful I am for my life and what I have. How grateful I am for my experiences. How grateful I am for the lessons I've learned and that I'm still learning. How grateful I am for being so blessed.

Fast forward 1260 minutes later to me singing the closing hymn in sacrament meeting. Different tears this time accompanied by a feeling of peace as we sang these words: "Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; All now mysterious shall be bright at last."

"And [they] did humble themselves before the Lord, and did shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them" (Ether 6:12).

3 comments:

Jodi said...

beautiful and inspiring. sometimes it's good to know i'm not the only one that has bad days. miss you!

Rachel Ricchio said...

and this is one of the reason's why i love being friends with you

Anonymous said...

Thanks Aishe! I really needed this right now. I love you!!